Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Will there be a time when tube amps are rarely used?
Re: Will there be a time when tube amps are rarely used? [message #99793 is a reply to message #73722] Mon, 14 September 2026 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Clint is currently offline  Clint
Messages: 53
Registered: December 2025
Baron
steve f wrote on Sun, 02 September 2012 00:00
Guys, it's already a niche market. I'm amazed that a couple of new tubes have been developed. I still like 'em though.

steve
I agree with you that solid state amps have come a long way. The modeling ones especially sound way better than they used to. A lot of players I know use them now because they're lighter, cheaper, and you can get a ton of different tones without hauling a bunch of gear around.

That said, I don't see tube amps disappearing anytime soon. There's still something about the way a good tube amp feels under your fingers and reacts when you dig in. It's hard to fully copy that, even with the best solid state stuff. A lot of guys just prefer the real tubes for recording or playing live when they can.

I figure both will stick around. Solid state will keep taking more of the everyday and budget side of the market, but there will always be people who want the tube sound and are willing to pay for it. The market for pure tube amps might get a bit smaller, but I doubt it ever becomes tiny. There's just too much history and feel tied up in them.
 
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Buying Amps on eBay
Next Topic: Tubes from Russia
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Oct 04 07:19:03 CDT 2026

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio
Miller Audio
Tubes For Amps
TubesForAmps.com

Lone Star Audiofest