Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Buying Amps on eBay
Re: Buying Amps on eBay [message #99792 is a reply to message #69262] Mon, 14 September 2026 13:50 Go to previous message
Clint is currently offline  Clint
Messages: 53
Registered: December 2025
Baron
Yeah I’ve grabbed a few tube amps off eBay. Some were solid, a couple needed work pretty quick.

I would say that brand and specs only get you so far. I check the seller’s feedback first—lots of sales and good ratings in audio stuff helps. Then I stare at the photos. I want to see the insides if they’re showing them, the tubes, any obvious wear or junk. If the listing is sparse I just message the guy and ask what’s up with the tubes, if it’s been worked on, does it hum, any weird noises. Decent sellers usually reply.

Still a gamble though. Caps go bad, tubes get tired, stuff like that. I’ve had ones that looked perfect and still needed a re-cap once they showed up. So I usually figure I’ll spend a little more getting a tech to look it over, especially on older ones. If the price is too good I get suspicious.

Specs tell you the basics but the real sound comes down to condition and the tubes more than anything. I just try not to get burned and accept that sometimes you’re still fixing things.
 
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: What are the common issues that you've experienced with using different tube amps?
Next Topic: Will there be a time when tube amps are rarely used?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Sep 29 13:57:44 CDT 2026

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio
Miller Audio
Tubes For Amps
TubesForAmps.com

Lone Star Audiofest