Home » Audio » General » Amp choices for multi-amp config
Re: Amp choices for multi-amp config [message #992 is a reply to message #991] Tue, 19 October 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
GarMan; Did you happen to get a look at Joeseph Esmillas site where he tests those transformers in a SE 2a3 circuit/ He seems to think that they perform better than specs, forgive me if this is redundant; you may have read that already; there is a link on Angelas site. I cannot speak from experience as regards matching SE with SS or Push-pull, as I have not heard all of those combinations. I have heard pretty good SS on the bass and PP tube upstairs, it seemed to work well but in the end I percieved some fatigue. I just became bored with it and to me that is a sign of some problem.
When you talk about using amps at the frequencies they have the best response at; do you mean whether they are specifically designed with response contours? Some kind of designed in filters?
However; I see no reason not to roll off the response on the high frequency amp, lots of vintage tube amps are rolled off below 60/70 hz. naturally anyway. If we are dealing with differing topologies what I have read is the output impedance; damping factor and amount of global feedback all contribute to a naturally ocurring contouring of the sound as a result of changes due to frequency and phase shifts. and that is where you run into trouble.
But as I say I have not heard everything so maybe the effects of these phenomena are minimal. What I would like to examine relates to your post on the Pi site; and that is pre-amplifier eq. What have you tried along those lines? J.R.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: AR Turntable website unveiled
Next Topic: !!! Woodstock 25,000th Post Contest !!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 05:31:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio