Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Found some older parts... (Eminence Waveguides / Parts Trade)
Found some older parts... [message #98024] Tue, 24 September 2024 21:22 Go to next message
Tronographic is currently offline  Tronographic
Esquire
So, about 2 years before the pandemic I packed up my entire shop because we were gearing up to do major renovations on our house... so much of the projects I had lined up got forgotten to the mists of the lockdown... Well, I'm finally unpacking stuff and through cloudy memory, trying to remember what I had planned for this stuff... Aaaand, I honestly can't recall much these days. Some of these things have been sitting in boxes for years and are tied to daydreams of speaker projects...

I have the following:

- Pair of Eminence H295 waveguides (bolt-on)
- 2 Eminence H290 waveguides that seem mismatched and from different production runs... One is heavy and one is light... you can see from the pics that they are different. It would send my OCD through the roof to try and make these into a pair... so maybe somebody needs an older one to match an orphan?
-2 Eminence PSD2002 compression drivers

I'm planning to build a pair of 4PIs, but I also have a pair of Wayne's waveguides and PCBs, which I don't recall purchasing... weird. I also plan to use the B&C DE250 instead of the PSD2002... How are the Eminence H290s different from the PI waveguides, are they interchangeable?

So, what to do with the extra Eminence parts? Sell, Trade, Build something else for funsies? I'm also having a stoop sale here in Brooklyn this weekend... what would be a fair price for these parts if I just want to move them quick?

Cheers mates,
D

Eminence H290:

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3462&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3463&private=0

Eminence H295:

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3464&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3465&private=0
  • Attachment: EM-H290.jpg
    (Size: 3.18MB, Downloaded 30 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_2091.jpg
    (Size: 4.12MB, Downloaded 34 times)
  • Attachment: EM-h295a.jpg
    (Size: 3.58MB, Downloaded 35 times)
  • Attachment: EM-H295b.jpg
    (Size: 3.62MB, Downloaded 35 times)
Re: Found some older parts... [message #98026 is a reply to message #98024] Wed, 25 September 2024 08:51 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Cool old horns!

I have some of the old Eminence H290 horns too. They were a radial horn, and they sounded really good, in my opinion. They offered good spectral balance and fairly good horizontal dispersion.

That's why I used that particular horn in a lot of speakers. It wasn't a constant-directivity horn, but it did provide fairly uniform coverage along the horizontal plane. And it was much smoother than a horn of the time designed for constant directivity.

That's what the Eminence H295 horn is - a constant directivity horn. The coverage is more uniform, but there's a price for that. It's pretty harsh sounding. That's the drawback of that horn and all the other CD horns of that era - they were harsh and "spitty" sounding. Cymbals sounded like they had been run through a phase shifter - 'cause they had been. The acoustic version of a phase shifter, which is the diffraction slots and edges within the throat and body of the horn.

The horns we sometimes call "waveguides" are an answer to that. They offer the smoothness of a radial horn with the coverage uniformity of a constant-directivity horn. In fact, a well designed "waveguide/horn" can do better in both regards. That's what the Pi Speaker's H290C waveguide/horn is:

Previous Topic: Insulation Alternatives
Next Topic: Pi Speakers FAQ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 23:17:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout