Home » xyzzy » Tower » Paris Olympics
Paris Olympics [message #97895] Sun, 21 July 2024 17:53 Go to next message
Mulcahy is currently offline  Mulcahy
Baron
Will you tune in for any of it? I'll watch the opening and closing ceremonies and some track and field. I'm curious about breakdancing's debut.
Re: Paris Olympics [message #97896 is a reply to message #97895] Sun, 21 July 2024 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Breakdancing? What next, juggling? Golf is an event these days too. Gimme a break. I'd rather bowing be an event.
I like the track and field too. That was the mainstay of the original Olympic games. I bet women's gymnastics will be televised a lot too. I also like some of the unglamorous events like weight lifting and wrestling. They tend to get little coverage. Probably breakdancing will edge them out in coverage.
Re: Paris Olympics [message #97898 is a reply to message #97895] Sun, 21 July 2024 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
They should add bean bag toss and pick up sticks. Laughing They really ought to get back to the core events from years gone by. I can't see anyone from Olympus doing break dancing.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Paris Olympics [message #97904 is a reply to message #97898] Tue, 23 July 2024 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
gofar99 wrote on Sun, 21 July 2024 20:30
They should add bean bag toss and pick up sticks. Laughing They really ought to get back to the core events from years gone by. I can't see anyone from Olympus doing break dancing.

And Tic Tac Toe! Laughing

I deliver medicine and I was at a rehab facility one day which had a giant chess board with all the pieces set up on the asphalt.

This needs to happen in Paris.

(I wish I could have played a round with someone. That would have so neat.)
Re: Paris Olympics [message #97936 is a reply to message #97904] Thu, 08 August 2024 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Two great track & field races that deserve note. The 1500 meter race that American Cole Hocker won all on guts and will power. Boxed in on the inside lane and losing stride temporarily he shifts into overdrive and beats the world champion for a taste of his own glory for old glory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sb32uxUO10

Then the mens 400 meter final has another American, Quincy Hall, (who went to H.S. around my neck of the woods) that dug deep down into his reserves and toughed out a win that looked impossible from where he was after the final turn. Great moments in sporting history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkmcEL-C25I
The Olympics always has those moments. Just pure human desire and perseverance.
Re: Paris Olympics [message #97940 is a reply to message #97936] Fri, 09 August 2024 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Don't blink. It's over that fast. Olympic speed climbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gisYmp5LrYU

The girls look just as fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDy9Tftk99w

No highlights of that Olympic Break Dancing yet.
Re: Paris Olympics [message #97957 is a reply to message #97940] Wed, 14 August 2024 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Rusty wrote on Fri, 09 August 2024 09:38

No highlights of that Olympic Break Dancing yet.

More like lowlights. Check the woman from Australia. Maybe I'm getting old, but it looked ridiculous. Dancing is a fun activity, but making it competitive doesn't turn it into a sport.

I read somewhere that this is the last year for break dancing in the Olympics.

I don't know. Let the kids be kids, I guess.
Re: Paris Olympics [message #97958 is a reply to message #97957] Wed, 14 August 2024 12:33 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
It's idiotic I think too. But then. They made 'golf' into an event for the summer games a few games or so back. It's about as strenuous a sport like bowling or billiards are. Maybe they can introduce lawn darts or bean bag toss in L.A. four years from now.

The French kind of had a weird closing ceremony what little I saw. Music wise. Ominous sounding orchestration that seemed, well, weird.
Previous Topic: Aesthetic Sensitivity
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 24 05:11:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout