Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamp
Re: Probably a sleeper and there are others [message #9795 is a reply to message #9793] Tue, 29 August 2006 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Some years ago if you were just getting into tubes and going the extreme budget route, the $99 Bottlehead Foreplay was a good choice. That's what got me into tubes, and it was a good introduction to tubes and to kit building.

But with the current Foreplay version going for $369 plus another $299 for the upgrade kit, the Grounded Grid pre begins to look like a better choice if it sounds good. It also appeals to my sense of aesthetics a lot more than the Bottlehead products, which remind me of a junior high science fair project. Transcendent provides some owner comments, but owner reviews unfortunately are the least reliable reviews one can read about any product. I haven't seen any magazine reviews, which would carry more weight with me.

I'm even more intrigued by their T-16 OTL amp kit. It's only 15 watts into eight ohms, but it should drive my 95dB sensitivity 16 ohm line arrays nicely. But how can I ever justify another amp?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: PS Regulation
Next Topic: Looking At NOS EL 34's...!