Home » Audio » Source » to RIAA or not
to RIAA or not [message #97930] Wed, 07 August 2024 21:41 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi everyone. This has likely been covered somewhere in the past but as gear and software improved I figured I would inquire again. Most newer ADCs seem to have a huge S/N ratio. Usually a noise floor better than -100db and likely a headroom of at least 20db. So if the slope of the RIAA curve is about 40db it would seem reasonable to expect that the output from a phono cartridge would fit with room to spare. From my readings etc it appears that the absolute max dynamic range of an LP is about 75 db and most are far less it might seem reasonable to do the RIAA conversion in a PC. Any thoughts?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: to RIAA or not [message #97933 is a reply to message #97930] Thu, 08 August 2024 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think you're proposing to create an RIAA curve using a digital filter. Is that what you're saying? If so, I agree. That would be easy to do.

But I can already hear screams of horror from the analog enthusiasts. Laughing
Re: to RIAA or not [message #97934 is a reply to message #97933] Thu, 08 August 2024 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Is the Parks DSP phono preamp along those lines?
https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/the-parks-audio-puffin-phono-stage-etc-etc-etc-etc-etc/
Re: to RIAA or not [message #97937 is a reply to message #97934] Thu, 08 August 2024 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I suspect it does that. I have a number of ADCs and DACs plus lots of software to fool around with. A quick check of Audacity indicated it was easy to create a RIAA eq. I intend to try feeding directly from a cartridge into a SIIG ADC and then save as a wave file at 34/96. Using that in Audacity apply the eq and adjust the level as needed. It would seem to be a way to do it. Dynamic range on the SIIG is 108 so it should be adequate. More to follow....

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: to RIAA or not [message #97939 is a reply to message #97937] Fri, 09 August 2024 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
GoFar you're like Chuck Berry's song Nadine. Always up to something new.
Re: to RIAA or not [message #97942 is a reply to message #97939] Fri, 09 August 2024 21:14 Go to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I have been called a number of less flattering things. You should see some of the things I tried that didn't work. I figure if I have the idea and the parts to try it why not. It is how I learn new things. Very Happy

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Marantz 6007 CD Player
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 24 14:16:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers