Home » Audio » Source » Marantz 6007 CD Player
Marantz 6007 CD Player [message #97886] Sat, 20 July 2024 20:43 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
It was about time ...I guess. My trusty OPPO 83SE puked out. Rather distressing as it has been a staple of my main stereo system for many years. Great sound, would play anything and do Blueray video as well. A tough act to follow. Getting something that would do all that including HD CDs and SACDs is difficult and quite costly. More than I wanted to pay for sure. I decided that the few SACDs and HD CDs would play in my second system and since I didn't used any DVDs in the main system (no monitor) I would do well with a player that only did CDs. That issue solved the problem is there are many from about $50 to over $2500. Neither extreme seemed to fit my desires. I set an arbitrary limit of $750. After a bunch of research and soul searching, I settled on a Marantz 6007. Not the newest version nor the top of the line. It turns out that it was a good choice. It looks nice and mechanically functions well. The best part is that it sounds really nice. Better than the OPPO. Clearly some progress in CD reproduction has taken place in the interval between the two machines. The specs don't read all that differently but the sound certainly is. It is always difficult to quantify sound properties and the typical terms are at best judgement calls on the part of the listener. However, I will take a shot at what I hear are the differences and similarities. Both are exceptionally quiet and as expected distortion is only that which is in the source material. The 6007 seems to have greater clarity in the upper mid-range. Lower-level sounds are more distinct but not accentuated. It is more engaging. By this I mean it causes shivers more often than the OPPO. Sort of ooh that's really nice sensation. The bass on both is exceptional but the 6007 seems a bit more controlled (often called tighter). In short, it is a better player. So, if you have an aging player, you would do well to consider this one. Present cost is $600 on Amazon (higher elsewhere though).

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Marantz 6007 CD Player [message #97889 is a reply to message #97886] Sun, 21 July 2024 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I still can't believe Oppo Digital called it quits. Congrats on your new Marantz purchase though! So very glad that they're still around - They were founded in the USA - and so many American electronics companies aren't here anymore.
Re: Marantz 6007 CD Player [message #97890 is a reply to message #97886] Sun, 21 July 2024 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
FYI, Oppo is still offering repair and service.
Re: Marantz 6007 CD Player [message #97892 is a reply to message #97890] Sun, 21 July 2024 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's definitely worth repairing!
Re: Marantz 6007 CD Player [message #97893 is a reply to message #97886] Sun, 21 July 2024 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
I found this.

https://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RSBDP83
Re: Marantz 6007 CD Player [message #97894 is a reply to message #97893] Sun, 21 July 2024 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for the link!
Re: Marantz 6007 CD Player [message #97897 is a reply to message #97894] Sun, 21 July 2024 20:28 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Marantz is still around and have a number of serious pieces of gear. If the player is representative then they should be really good additions to any system. Thanks for the OPPO link. I sent them an email and will wait and see what they say. It decided to not power up most of the time. I studied the guts and it was unclear where the issue was. It could be as simple as the switch...but it is buried in the unit and nearly everything would have to come out. Other thoughts were a power good signal, the residual stand by circuit and so on. It is more like a PC inside and not really serviceable at my level.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: The End of Koetsu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 22 00:17:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers