Home » Audio » General » Fireworks!
Fireworks! [message #97827] Thu, 04 July 2024 10:25 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Happy 4th of July, everyone!

What are you doing to celebrate?

Where I live, there are lots of closely-spaced towns, and each celebrate on a different day throughout the week. So it's a total party week here!

I can remember - dang, must be ten or twenty years ago - Tom Danley used to say how he enjoyed capturing recordings of fireworks because they really exposed a system's abilities. A system needs a full frequency response and a wide dynamic range.

Any of you ever tried this?
Re: Fireworks! [message #97828 is a reply to message #97827] Thu, 04 July 2024 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, here everyone is doing it today. Lots of events, parades, fairs, concerts and fireworks. Indeed the sound of fireworks and anything similar is hard to capture. Think about the overture of 1812. Few recordings do anything worth a hoot. The best I have been able to hear is on a Command Stereo LP. Even then it is a bit compressed. Many cartridges can't even track it....funny to watch some of the cheaper one hop out of the grooves. I actually was pleasantly surprised that my Grado Sonata II in the Jelco 370 arm went through it fine particularly as it is the final track on the LP side. Anyhow, hope you and all the other members have a good 4th.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Fireworks! [message #97830 is a reply to message #97828] Fri, 05 July 2024 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Round here, the best thing to come about is the rain. There was a window yesterday for the 4th. And the revelers had at it as always till the wee wee hours. But the weather has broke into lovely blissful cool moderation today. What a joy. Cook out time. A few beers and a platter party. No Eighteen twelve overture though. Some jazz & reggae sound right to me.
Re: Fireworks! [message #97831 is a reply to message #97830] Fri, 05 July 2024 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, we got rain here too. So did Tulsa.

So the fireworks celebrations were kind of, well, drenched. But where we live there are a lot of small cities, each scheduling their celebration on staggered consecutive days. It's a week-long party here! We'll watch fireworks this weekend.

Instead of fireworks, Kelly and I ate BBQ with family and then watched the new Eddie Murphy movie, which was fantastic. It was like a time machine back to the original "Beverly Hill's Cops" movies. Too cool!
Re: Fireworks! [message #97835 is a reply to message #97827] Sat, 06 July 2024 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
So how did the cookout go? I miss cooking out. We need to get a grill.

My poor cats are absolutely terrified of fireworks, so I spend my time holding them instead of running off to do something fun. Unfortunately, my neighbors are still shooting as they want to use them all up.
Re: Fireworks! [message #97838 is a reply to message #97835] Sat, 06 July 2024 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I had to comfort one of ours as well. The other didn't care. One scardy cat one fearless.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Fireworks! [message #97849 is a reply to message #97827] Mon, 08 July 2024 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mulcahy is currently offline  Mulcahy
Baron
Different neighbors set off fireworks here and there every night since July 1. I'm mostly okay with it. I do feel bad for the pets on my street, and there are lots of wild rabbits.
Re: Fireworks! [message #97867 is a reply to message #97827] Sun, 14 July 2024 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
positron is currently offline  positron
Viscount
I did not do much, just watched tv using stereo for sound.

Decades ago, went to a friend's house in Peoria Heights (suburb of Peoria)
and at one end of the block, a thousand dollars worth of fireworks in the
garage.

Half a dozen people, or more (no kids) watched as the rockets etc etc started back and forth down the street between at least two individuals; so much so that the flashes shut off the overhead street lights. A gigantic bellow of smoke covering over a block, higher than the houses. Lots of fun to say the least.

Finally, around the corner slipped a police car and everyone ran. No one was arrested, just some talk, but after a couple of years, the "war" took place out in the countryside. Luckily no fires.

Will never forget.

pos
Re: Fireworks! [message #97869 is a reply to message #97867] Mon, 15 July 2024 06:53 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, that's incredible!
Previous Topic: Tuning out on plane rides
Next Topic: Voice Actors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 11:26:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio