Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Retrofitting Altec 612 cabinet for a 4pi build (Talk me into or out of this idea!)
Retrofitting Altec 612 cabinet for a 4pi build [message #97858] Fri, 12 July 2024 10:30 Go to next message
lowtrail is currently offline  lowtrail
Esquire

I have an empty 6cu. ft. cabinet I want to do something with. I'm curious if the 4pi might work in this enclosure using a combination of volume reduction strategies.

You can read the full backstory on this thread on DIY Audio.
I was encouraged to ask the group here for advice.

Some specific questions I have:
1. Has anyone had success building 4pi in larger enclosures? If so, how was the xo modified? I have no experience with xo design.
2. If I were to subdivide my 6cu ft. enclosure (woofer chamber and horn chamber) to give the woofer the same volume as the standard 4pi build, would the xo need modifications? Port location would presumably change.

Looking forward to an education Smile I'm very new to all of this.
Re: Retrofitting Altec 612 cabinet for a 4pi build [message #97860 is a reply to message #97858] Fri, 12 July 2024 15:15 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wouldn't change the dimensions of the cabinet for these reasons (from the Pi Speakers FAQ):
I realize you are talking about reducing the internal volume by partitioning, but I did want to comment on the subject of larger cabinet volume, nonetheless. One can gain bass extension with a larger cabinet, provided internal standing waves in the midrange are mitigated. But what I suggest instead is to use flanking subs, which serve three purposes:

1. They provide bass extension
2. They provide baffle step mitigation
3. They provide mitigation of SBIR and higher-frequency room modes.

More on that:
Previous Topic: 4 Pi Speaker
Next Topic: Pi Speakers FAQ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 04:25:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers