Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Barkyard BBQ Drive-in Theater Speakers....
Barkyard BBQ Drive-in Theater Speakers.... [message #97787] Fri, 21 June 2024 10:58 Go to next message
Tronographic is currently offline  Tronographic
Esquire
So, We have been showing movies in our Brooklyn back yard since before 2020... and during lockdown we started showing double-features on summers weekends and all of October we show horror movies.. On a screen in our garden with friends and a little fire pit for S'mores... It's amazing.

The weak link has always been the sound system... the first year I set up some old Yamaha stereo speakers with my Paramour amps (not bad), those speakers went away and I eventually attached a pair of Realistic Maximus 7s on either side of the screen and powered with a Parts Express digital amp so I could use the Bluetooth in my Bluray player to cut down on cabling outside... Stereo spread is good, but the little 7s are underwhelming... I think I want more bass and to have a set I can plop on the ground on movie nights but keep stored in the basement or in a shed when not in use.

Now I want to build either a pair of OnePi or TwoPi speakers and possibly integrate a BT receiver/amp into both or one... I also plan to wrap them in tolex and make covers for them so they can be stored in less-than ideal storage situation...

So I could use some ideas.

I have an older set of plans for the TwoPis kicking around (pre Vifa_DX25)... but I'm thinking the OnePis might also be good to consider. 5.1 might be an eventual set up, but for now stereo it preferred.

I could use some current plans for both the One and Two PIs...

Thanks guys.
Re: Barkyard BBQ Drive-in Theater Speakers.... [message #97788 is a reply to message #97787] Fri, 21 June 2024 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would suggest two Pi tower speakers because they provide deeper bass.

Or you could run either of the studio models - one Pi or two Pi - and add subs.

Still better would be four Pi mains with subs.

Any way you do it, use Baltic Birch rather than MDF. I prefer MDF when indoors, but Baltic Birch when used outdoors or when the speakers might e moved often.
Re: Barkyard BBQ Drive-in Theater Speakers.... [message #97792 is a reply to message #97788] Sun, 23 June 2024 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tronographic is currently offline  Tronographic
Esquire
Thanks Wayne!

I have some high-quality Finland birch (multi-ply) I'm using, It's also marine-grade and void free... been using this product for years in my speaker builds... stuff is getting prohibitively expensive to use though.

I could use current plans for the One, Two and Two Towers... all my old files are long gone. Thanks!

I have Four Pi plans and some parts I've been sitting on for years... I hope to eventually make a pair and use them for my backyard parties. It's not a huge space so I might not need much more than the Two-PIs... but I can imagine the dynamics would be much better for movies with the Fours.

Re: Barkyard BBQ Drive-in Theater Speakers.... [message #97795 is a reply to message #97792] Sun, 23 June 2024 16:52 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!
Previous Topic: It's getting to be subwoofer time.
Next Topic: Pi Speakers FAQ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 13:38:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout