Home » xyzzy » Tower » Broken Player
Broken Player [message #97748] Sat, 08 June 2024 13:27 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, It was a close encounter of the ah s**t kind today. My trusty OPPO SE player was dead. Nothing, no power light, just dead. I took it apart. My thought is if it is already broken you really can't break it. After a while I got it back up and running. One of the ribbon cables was apparently not making good contact. I thought I was looking at an over $1000 replacement. I have some SACDs and Audio Blueray disks. Most newer players can't play them. Anyhow after making it work, I dug out some older CDs and was listening to stuff mostly from the 60s and 70s. it made me think.....possibly not always a great thing. Many of the tracks were in the folk venue and delt with issues of the time. Often protests over wars and social injustice. My thought was.... With all the s**t going on now where are the contemporary protest songs? I couldn't name one that is current. What do you all think is the reason?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Broken Player [message #97749 is a reply to message #97748] Sat, 08 June 2024 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Now reminds me of the title of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb. There's probably some folky or whatever genre protest songs out there. I don't follow contemporary music very well. The 60's were unique in the sense of mass protests. I wouldn't doubt that the Israeli debacle is spawning some such thing. It gives this country a well deserved bad rap as a lousy empire manager.
Europeans tend to show more civil protest than Americans these days. They have to live with extremely high energy costs brought on by that little explosion in the Baltic Sea. Wonder who brought that on?
Anyway, era's come and go. Who knows, maybe times will repeat similarly, but never quite like that in the 60's.
Re: Broken Player [message #97771 is a reply to message #97749] Sat, 15 June 2024 20:48 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, My close encounter was unfortunately a warning of things to come. The OPPO failed completely. So now I have replaced it with a Marantz 6007. So far it seems really good. Sound is clean and possibly a little better than the OPPO. Mechanical it seems sturdier as well. Time will tell. I really can't fault the OPPO much as it was just over 15 years old. Top dog then...likely equal now to most mid level ones (like the 6007). As time goes by my ears would not justify the $2000 plus for a top dog now.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Sliced Bread
Next Topic: House / Apartment Envy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 23:56:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers