Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Mains and subs (Looking for advice!)
Mains and subs [message #97740] Thu, 06 June 2024 23:03 Go to next message
Campcap is currently offline  Campcap
Esquire
What is your favorite speaker to match with the 3 Pi subs? I'm looking to build two 1 Pi's and two 3 Pi subs, wondering if you recommend a different match. Also if you could send plans for both that'd be awesome! I plan on making it very aesthetically pleasing and would love to share photos when it's finished.
Re: Mains and subs [message #97743 is a reply to message #97740] Fri, 07 June 2024 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I personally like using three Pi mains or four Pi mains with three Pi subs. But I know that's not for everyone, and you could certainly pair one Pi mains with three Pi subs.

I wonder though - do you have room for two Pi towers? They are tall but they have a small footprint. Two Pi towers are very capable mains for such an inexpensive package.
Re: Mains and subs [message #97745 is a reply to message #97743] Fri, 07 June 2024 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hmm I was looking at the 3 Pi mains, I'd be interested in taking a look at those. For towers I could also be interested, however my listening level is kind of low. If it's not too much could you send the plans for the 1's, 3's, 3 subs, and 2 towers? If that's asking too much no problem !

Thank you
Re: Mains and subs [message #97747 is a reply to message #97745] Fri, 07 June 2024 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Let's try to narrow down your needs first, and then when you've decided on what you want, let me know and I'll send plans.

Things to consider:

1. Your budget
2. Your quality goals and coverage needs
3. Your listening space and the size of the speakers
Re: Mains and subs [message #97762 is a reply to message #97743] Sun, 09 June 2024 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
1. 1000-1500 USD (flexible here but do want to save some for a nice amp)
2. A nice hifi that can extend low but sound musical and fresh. I listen to jazz, classical, reggae, electronic, ambient and metal mostly. The subs are just for that extra hz, don't plan on cranking them often. They will be everyday listeners, I like a fun and detailed sound with good imaging. Some coloration is cool as long as the highs and lows aren't boosted wildly like some lower end studio monitors. I don't need them for hyper critical listening or a perfectly flat response. Audiophile quality vinyl / lossless files as well as terribly compressed mp3s from youtube will be played. Many meals and drinks will be shared around these Wink
3. Room size Im actually not sure of since i'm moving in a few months, average living room size of a 1000 sq ft apartment which will be treated acoustically and have bass traps if they fit, but it will most likely not be an ideal size or shape room. The 3 pi sub box will remain the same in size / dimension, only thing that will be reshaped is the mains. I plan on making something similar looking to the klipsch la scalas, except that the folded horn would be the 3 pi subs with a nice grill or cloth and then making the mains similar in shape to how the top rectangular box looks, fitting the 1 pi mains in there. They will be on shorter stands if necessary to bring to ear level and my listening position is lower.

Thank you!
Re: Mains and subs [message #97763 is a reply to message #97762] Sun, 09 June 2024 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think I would go with three Pi mains if you can swing 'em. If not, I'd go with two Pi towers.
Re: Mains and subs [message #97764 is a reply to message #97763] Mon, 10 June 2024 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Sounds good! Id be interested in the 3 pi mains and subs 🙏
Re: Mains and subs [message #97765 is a reply to message #97764] Tue, 11 June 2024 11:18 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!
Previous Topic: 2pi towers
Next Topic: It's getting to be subwoofer time.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 24 06:48:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio