Home » xyzzy » Tower » I am beginning to hate water
I am beginning to hate water [message #97690] Tue, 14 May 2024 20:33 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
My most current rant. I wonder how many of you have been in this pickle.

I am beginning to hate water. Every time I try to fix something that involves water it turns into a major event. You would think that fixing a slow kitchen drain would be a no brainer. Not so. Normally this is just a clogged trap. So, I thought. Pulled the trap. Surprise, it was clean. Both good and bad news there. The problem has to be somewhere else. Pulled the next section of pipe past the drain. Some gook, but mostly OK. So, the next thing was to check the pipe from the garbage disposal to the trap. Yuck. Bad news, chock full of really good stuff. OK, so I removed that section to clean it. Fine. Then figured it was time to go to the store to get gaskets and fittings. Ace had a kit for installing garbage disposals on dual sinks. Bingo, I figured my problems were solved. Not so fast mister diy can do anything. All the big parts fit, but the gasket for the disposal would not. It was too small and not the right thickness. The original was really bunged up so there was no chance it would be useable. Ace said to try a nearby plumbing supply store. Went there and guess what, the part is no longer made and they didn't have any. But they did give me a free one to try (some folks are still nice to deal with). They sent me to another plumbing store. Same story. So, go back to the house and try to make one of the gaskets work. It was about the right size and shape. Well at least sort of close. So, I stuck it in the hole and tightened the flange. The moment of truth. Turn on the water. No surprise it leaked. Take it apart and look at the mating surface. It is missing a chum about the size of a bean. Corrosion strikes again. Obviously, there is no way this will ever work. So, off to the store and get a new disposal. Spend the next hour removing the existing one and installing the new one. Much to my surprise it didn't leak and did run. Good thing too as I was about to find the nearest bridge and jump off. (BTW, there aren't any within about 75 miles worth the effort). I hope your day has gone more smoothly.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: I am beginning to hate water [message #97691 is a reply to message #97690] Wed, 15 May 2024 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would laugh if I didn't feel your pain so much, Mr. DIY-can-do-anything. Very Happy
Re: I am beginning to hate water [message #97694 is a reply to message #97691] Thu, 16 May 2024 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
There was nothing my old man couldn't fix with some wide tape, wire of any gauge or source, and twine. From automobiles to household quick fixes.
Growing up we had a back door from the garage that opened inward with no lock and the inside door knob fell off. Quick to dispatch that problem the old man cut off an end of an old broom handle and stuffed it into the hole the knob had been. And we used a board to prop against the door and the basement steps railing to "lock" the door.
Fortunately I received slightly better gene's from the genetic pool and have a little more advanced skills than pappy did. My older brothers though carry on the tradition.
Re: I am beginning to hate water [message #97695 is a reply to message #97690] Thu, 16 May 2024 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
I find garbage disposal to be problematic and superfluous. Remove disposal and throw your stuff into the trash bin.
Re: I am beginning to hate water [message #97700 is a reply to message #97695] Thu, 16 May 2024 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, that might work if you live totally alone and never have guests or family with kids. And nobody ever cooks, or at least nothing that causes food waste on dishes or pans. Like nothing but hot dogs and TV dinners.

So basically - I could've done what you're describing when I was single - 'cause I pretty much lived on carry-out and maybe the occasional TV dinner. Almost nothing that couldn't be put on paper plates.

But food on dishes and pans goes in the sink, and ultimately down the drain. Without a food grinder of some sort, the sink gets clogged in a hurry.

In the USA, we usually call those food grinders "garbage disposals" but maybe that's not what they're called in other locations, I don't know. Or maybe some places don't use them and are just really careful to prevent food waste from going down the drain.

But yeah, back to Bruce, that repair sounds like it really sucked. Started off seeming simple enough and then "crumbled in your hands."
Re: I am beginning to hate water [message #97702 is a reply to message #97700] Thu, 16 May 2024 21:25 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Unfortunately if I removed the disposal then the I would have to coble up something to make the water go down the drain. More plumbing and more chances to screw it up. I have been considering reviving my back yard watering system. I took it off line when the drought killed most of the "lawn" and shrubs. No sense watering bare ground. But now I am considering fixing the yard. I did build (assemble) a 10X13 gazebo earlier this month. It really is possible to do it without assistance. It certainly would be faster with help though. The watering system will certainly be a goat rope. The pipes are there, but most of the heads are long gone and I am not even sure where some were. I suppose I could attach the end and turn it one and see where the "fountains" erupt from the ground. It could be neat.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Quote about traveling
Next Topic: Sliced Bread
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 24 06:37:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers