Home » Audio » Source » Tube DAC - SW1X, Abbas, LAB12, Sonic Frontiers?  () 1 Vote
Re: Tube DAC - SW1X, Abbas, LAB12, Sonic Frontiers? [message #97422 is a reply to message #97421] Fri, 09 February 2024 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
kasperbergholt is currently offline  kasperbergholt
Baron
gofar99 wrote on Wed, 07 February 2024 20:15
Hi, I have no experience regarding the gear you are thinking about. I do love tube sound and almost all of my designs are all tubes. (a few things like SS rectifiers though). My sense is that since the media that goes into DAC is digital I would personally opt for a digital DAC with a clean audio section. It could be either SS or tube. Each has positive and negative aspects. It is ironic that the DAC I use has settings to "make it sound like a tube unit". After listening to all the choices I chose another one. I'm not sure what they were trying to do but the clean output variations sounded better. If you can hear the units you are thinking about it would be best, an alternative is a try before you buy arrangement (yes I know fairly rare). Otherwise it is kind of a crap shoot. No two folks have the same ears and yours are the ones that matter in this case.
Thank you for your reply, insights & thoughts!

I have Topping E30 DAC now which measures very well in terms of 'neutrality' according some measurements done on Audio Science Review, but it's like something's missing - which I see some peoeple attributing to op amps instead of tube amplifiation.

The Abbas is made to order, but it might be possible to listen to the LAB12 at the dealer's. But sometimes the listenings rooms, amplifiers and speakers are so different it from time to time doesn't make sense.

thanks again Smile

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message