Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Convertible
Convertible [message #9705] Fri, 14 July 2006 19:11 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
Since it has been more than a week since I got my last project done, I'm on to the next. The last worked so well, I just don't feel like messing with it. Never thought I'd be saying that...

Anyway, I have some big plate Iron, and some 813 sockets. 4E27's first, with the B+ set for a bit over 500. The output will be 10k a-a, with the custom tap schedule.

When I get through with that, it is on to 813's. Switch filament current from 5 to 10V, install the proper output TX( either the S271S, or the Freed units from the Deuce ).

I am not sure I am going too be able to carry these things very far. I am working on layout, and that is one heavy collection of Iron. Two chassis is looking better and better I must say. I think I need some higher voltage insulation on the wire I build this with...:) I have looked at some nice connectors. They assemble one way, have 4:1 voltage safety factor, and don't look half bad. The alternative looks like having a good physician on retainer to deal with the times I decide to lift it myslef.

and then there is the chassis, something which can deal with 200 lb. of stuff bolted to it( with 12.9/Grade 8 ).
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Convertible [message #9706 is a reply to message #9705] Sun, 16 July 2006 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Huh, and I though that 20kg per stereo amp is too much...
Personally, I like two monoblocs idea better, then two chasis construction (PS + stereo amp).
Some people even use unisolated HV wires inside the chasis, and strip off capacitors sleeves (sounds better?!), but I use silicon and teflon isolated wires + additional sleeves for everything HV...
How about some photos?

Re: Convertible [message #9707 is a reply to message #9706] Sun, 16 July 2006 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
I'll figure out the photos.

What I meant was a total of four chassis. One PS chassis and one amp chassis per channel. At ~100 lb. per PS, there is nooooooooo way I'd put the two together and try for 200...:)

I have some silicone, and a lot of Teflon. The anode leads are going to be quite durable, insulated and then sleeved in Teflon. I need to machine some anode post adapters so I can use 813-size Millen plate caps.

in for a dime, in for a dollar.

The S-271-S cloning project turned out to be a lot more expensive than I thought. The output TX should be worth it, and I am doing some of the final assembly myself. I got some special microcrystalline wax, and some M3 laminations ( .009" thick ), and the assurance I'll be able to get help from Heyboer should things get beyond me.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Convertible [message #9708 is a reply to message #9707] Sun, 16 July 2006 14:46 Go to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Seems it will be a very popular project in "Projects" section...
Take care...and don`t forget those photos!

Previous Topic: Has anyone used the 6CK4 as an output tube?
Next Topic: How to mount 6C17K-B plana tube?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 22:27:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio