Home » Audio » Radio » Calling Radio Stations
Calling Radio Stations [message #96939] Tue, 22 August 2023 22:36 Go to next message
noodle is currently offline  noodle
Viscount
Ever called a station to request a song or something else? How did it go?

One not-so-great memory: I called a college station to ask if someone might be posting a playlist from earlier, or knew at least a couple of the songs, which were in Spanish, which I don't speak. The person gave a cold "no," then hung up.

Re: Calling Radio Stations [message #96941 is a reply to message #96939] Wed, 23 August 2023 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I did that a time or two when I was young. Radio stations were local and approachable back then. Not sure when that changed, but I don't get the feeling you can do that as much anymore.
Re: Calling Radio Stations [message #96942 is a reply to message #96939] Wed, 23 August 2023 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I did it too.
We lived in Allentown PA. On Saturdays we'd call Z95-WZZO and they'd always play our request.
It helped that my brother in laws brother was the DJ....... all those decades ago.....
Re: Calling Radio Stations [message #96943 is a reply to message #96942] Thu, 24 August 2023 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Just once. To request the station not to play Boston's, More than a feeling every 15 minutes or so. They played it anyway.
Re: Calling Radio Stations [message #96944 is a reply to message #96943] Thu, 24 August 2023 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh God, Rusty, that's funny!

Remember two other songs - great songs - that were way too heavy in rotation back then?

Freebird and Stairway to Heaven

They were awesome songs but it seems like they were always overplayed.
Re: Calling Radio Stations [message #96945 is a reply to message #96944] Thu, 24 August 2023 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Another comes to mind from the 80's was Pink Floyd's, Another brick in the wall. I'm not much of a fan of that group. I've labeled them, "sedative rock". But that plodding song in particular broke through the sedation like fingernails on a chalk board to me.
Re: Calling Radio Stations [message #96947 is a reply to message #96939] Sun, 27 August 2023 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
In my younger days, I used to call into stations that gave away big prizes. Can't say that I ever hit it big, though.

JohnnyCamp, that's pretty cool. It's like you're almost related to someone famous (DJs count in my book).
Re: Calling Radio Stations [message #97095 is a reply to message #96939] Tue, 24 October 2023 18:40 Go to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, I have called a radio station before, but it was talk radio. Back then, they had a segment in the afternoon where you could call in and give your opinion about a certain current news story. I did, and they actually aired my message. It was kinda cool.
Previous Topic: AM, FM, or SW
Next Topic: Nothing but commercials
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 16:48:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout