Home » Audio » General » Reading The Manual?
Reading The Manual? [message #95357] Tue, 08 March 2022 23:09 Go to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Show of hands.....How many of you read the user or owner's manual of a sound system that is brand new out of the box?
Re: Reading The Manual? [message #95358 is a reply to message #95357] Wed, 09 March 2022 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I read the manuals of every piece of technical equipment I buy, and some of the non-technical stuff too. I know many people don't - there's the joke that guys never read the manuals - but I want to understand the devices I own.

And one of the cruelest acronym snide-remarks a techie can make to another is "RTFM." It's like saying "you're an idiot." If not an idiot, then at least a lazy person.
Re: Reading The Manual? [message #95369 is a reply to message #95358] Sun, 13 March 2022 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, I read them. It is easier to do than replace parts you broke when you didn't. Many of the things I get are sensitive or delicate and knowing how to use them is really important. Nothing like wreaking a $750 or higher phono cartridge because you didn't know how to get the needle guard off (no I haven't done that, but it could happen). Confused

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Reading The Manual? [message #95371 is a reply to message #95357] Sun, 13 March 2022 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
If it's a system I know nothing about, which can happen, I break out the manual. Some people read it like a book from start to finish, but there's no way I could remember everything in there.

I want to understand what I'm using, for sure, and the best way for me to go about that is to read when I need to.
Re: Reading The Manual? [message #95374 is a reply to message #95357] Mon, 14 March 2022 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Reading the manual is just part of the process of setting up a new system. Growing up, I watched my older brothers when they did it, now I do it.
Re: Reading The Manual? [message #95389 is a reply to message #95357] Tue, 15 March 2022 19:38 Go to previous message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
That's a good tradition to keep going. They don't just write these manuals to reduce liability, there is very useful information in those tomes. It's very dry writing, but informative.
Previous Topic: Morals Anyone?
Next Topic: Hosa CCS-2000 CAIG DustAll Compressed Air
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 15 17:07:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout