Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Class notes
Class notes [message #9361] Sun, 27 November 2005 07:14 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
Still trying to lay out a set of instructions for building tube circuits. There are too many to cover all of them...so I am picking a starting point and making some assumptions.

The starting point is a linestage. I'll assume we need gain, and that we'll be switching at least 2 sources. It will be driving cables, so attention will be paid to its output Z.

The gain assumption leaves some work with developing a load line and interpreting the results. Power supply and component choices can take a lot of space, so in the beginning, I'll simplify for sake of coverage. Just make it clear I am simplifying.

More later...:)
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Class notes [message #9362 is a reply to message #9361] Sun, 27 November 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It is a tough job to somehow "squeeze" all the necessary informations about tube circuits in a few pages, or a few lessons. Interestingly, there are not too many books that can help - there are many, with various things and accesses, but easy to follow, 1-2-3 simplified "recipes" single book... The closest are books by Morgan Jones, IMO.
When I tried to in simplified manner (but, correct and with "nothing important can`t be omitted" goal) write about SE stage - I went through tens of books, but I must wrote a synthesis. This is theme for (at least) one thick book, not for 3-4 pages of text. I`m not sure that I totally succeeded in this...
It can be done, but not just knowledge, literature and experience is needed, but the talent in teaching...

theory and practice [message #9363 is a reply to message #9362] Sun, 27 November 2005 09:33 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
I think I'll keep Feynman's direction on teaching in mind: First discover why it is you want them(the students)to learn something. The rest will follow more or less by common sense.

I suppose the Why, is to be able to build something that is owned by its builder. That is, I know why I did these things, and I know its limits and strengths. So, with this knowlege and experience, I might discover a new way of doing IT( and I am *NOT* referring to that silly ebay ad, though cheap salvaged bits will be available there...:).

Let's pull back the curtain and reveal how easy it is to realize a good design. There is still blank space on the tube circuits canvas, waiting for motivated folks to pick up a pen or brush...

So, put a choke in place of a SS current regulating circuit. Remove or add a bypass capacitor ____, and see how it sounds. Some will turn out well and some will take up time in the lab. All of them will teach *SOMETHING* useful. If it is only to trust your own engineering, I'll be smiling...
cheers,
Douglas

Previous Topic: VTV Expo in November
Next Topic: Anyone know how bad this is?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 02 05:09:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio