Home » xyzzy » Tower » Cool Stuff in the Summer of 2020
Re: Cool Stuff in the Summer of 2020 [message #92087 is a reply to message #92086] Wed, 15 July 2020 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, Sounds like fun. I remember the 68. One of the better years IMO. Actually though I liked the 60 Impala convertibles and 64 2 door models better. What motor does the 68 have. They came with everything from a 6 to the 409 (maybe the 427 but I am not sure) as I recall. The two door was the best looking. A 409-427 wagon might be a real sleeper and a lot of fun to bugger other folks in a speed run.

Right now I'm working on a stereo power amp. I have had lots of requests for such and decided the time was right. It uses push-pull KT120s at a very modest power level of 62 ma at 450V (per tube). I have found this to be a sweet spot. The sound is amazing. Class A operation U/L into 8K load. I converted all my main amps to this setting (I bi amp my system). Output is right at 20 watts per channel. Quite sufficient for most speakers (for anyone who doesn't know loudness is not a linear function of power and to get twice the loudness you need 10 times the power). The phono preamps I have been working on (prototypes exist) are undergoing a second version as the original ones were too noisy for my ears. With the fixes the S/N is now at -80dbv. Our beta tester says it is stunning for sound quality and super quiet. A $12K preamp he has been using is left in the dust. Now if we could get our suppliers up to speed life would be good.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message