Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi plan request and question.
4Pi plan request and question. [message #91795] Wed, 29 April 2020 22:52 Go to next message
preacher is currently offline  preacher
Esquire
I would like the plans for the 4Pi speaker please.

I picked up a set of four JBL 2226H speakers three years ago and have been sitting waiting to decide what to do. I have decided the 4Pi is my best route.

I am trying to decide if I will use them to replace my stereo setup or my home theater. My question is about bass response comparison. Currently my stereo is a set of old JBL Century L100 cabinets with the OG 123A woofer, but I subbed out the the mid for a Faital 3inch and a small Dayton tweeter. I am running it active on a six channel amp. I'm really curious how the bass will compare to the 4PI. This will affect how I finish out the speakers aesthetically.

With them crossing to a sub on my HT system the bass would be mostly a moot point. I'm sure a 15 can generate generous bass. Smile

Thanks in advance!!!

Geoff
Re: 4Pi plan request and question. [message #91797 is a reply to message #91795] Thu, 30 April 2020 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

I recommend you use flanking subs with these speakers. This isn't done just to add extension, but also to provide modal smoothing and reduce self-interference anomalies from nearest boundaries. Some people also like to run one or two distributed multisubs to smooth lower frequency room modes.

The bass without subs is adequate. But I do prefer to see people using at least flanking subs, using the speaker system as a three-way with the LF subsystem detached. The layout looks like this:

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/2009/Photos/PiSpeakers_10.jpg
four π speakers with flanking subs
Re: 4Pi plan request and question. [message #91799 is a reply to message #91797] Thu, 30 April 2020 10:17 Go to previous message
preacher is currently offline  preacher
Esquire
Thanks so much! I appreciate the plans and the input. I guess more subs are the next project after this 😂
Previous Topic: Pi 4 build and grilles
Next Topic: Request for 1Pi & 2Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 23 13:52:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout