Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3Pi Sub plans, and some other questions.
Re: 3Pi Sub plans, and some other questions. [message #88055 is a reply to message #88054] Mon, 21 May 2018 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Expect the mains to be approximately 10dB louder than the subs given the same input power. So you'll want to run them with ten times the power. But believe me, high-efficiency speakers don't need much, even to reach THX reference levels.

I run my subs with a 50 watt amp, and it's plenty. I have Crown Macrotech amps, so I can run thousands of watts if I want to. But it's just not needed. So get a 250 watt amp - It'll be great.

Back to the center speaker dilemma, you can't get good performance from a speaker with the midwoofer to the side of the tweeter. That's why I made the comment earlier about horizontal arrays. When the drivers are sitting side-by-side, the off-axis nulls are also positioned at each side of the speaker. That puts them in the listening area. Best you could do would be to position them left and right of center by about 20°. That puts the nulls in the listening area, and isn't a good thing.

Having nulls at +/-20° is great in the vertical plane, because that puts one of them at the floor (damped by carpeting) and the other over the listener's heads. But it's terrible in the horizontal. So side-by-side drivers are a no-no: They're horrible for sound quality.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: DSP for subwoofer(s)
Next Topic: On Fence
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 08:47:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations