Home » Audio » Group Build » A New Ground
A New Ground [message #86431] Mon, 30 October 2017 12:14 Go to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
Dedicated ground solutions are not a novel idea but over the past year it seems everyone has been coming out with their version. For a few months I've been thinking about introducing one to my system and had considered Entreq, Telos, Nordost and others. Although I have a bunch of Synergistic Research (SR) kit I had dismissed their older basic ground block as too rinky dink -- however when I heard about the new Active Ground Blocks I thought that could be the way to go. The Active Ground blocks are smallish devices with a mains connection and a plethora of outlets for grounding cables to every component. What do you think is the best?
Re: A New Ground [message #86435 is a reply to message #86431] Mon, 30 October 2017 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The problem with grounding is pretty basic but the solutions may or may not be. To me, if I can put all equipment close enough together to share a common single-point ground, then that's what I do. But if any part is far away, then the systems need to be isolated rather than trying to connect the grounds. A good ground connection can't have a long conductor separating components because there is a potential voltage drop along the conductor. So the only good way to connect distant equipment is through some method that isolates the systems, e.g. using optical or electro-magnetic couplers.

Re: A New Ground [message #87271 is a reply to message #86435] Sun, 25 February 2018 11:05 Go to previous message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 30 October 2017 12:48
A good ground connection can't have a long conductor separating components because there is a potential voltage drop along the conductor.

I was taught that that was a given. Which is why I've never done that. Every component of every system I have ever had were as close together as possible.
Previous Topic: DIY Panels
Next Topic: Where to start?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 04:24:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout