Home » Audio » Speaker » Will they get smaller?
Will they get smaller? [message #85733] Thu, 27 July 2017 15:55 Go to next message
Caitlan is currently offline  Caitlan
Baron
Speakers come is so many different sizes these days. Big, small, tall, short. But do you think that they'll ever be as small as a USB and play music extremely loud? Is it possible?
Re: Will they get smaller? [message #85734 is a reply to message #85733] Thu, 27 July 2017 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I don't think that's possible right now, but maybe someday.
They are devices that move air, after all.
Re: Will they get smaller? [message #85735 is a reply to message #85734] Fri, 28 July 2017 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right, John. It's physics, and has been mathematically quantified in Hoffman's Iron Law and Thiele/Small analysis.

The physics of a electro-mechanico-acoustic device dictate that it can be made small only if efficiency and/or bass extension are sacrificed.

So you can make a small loudspeaker, but you can't make a small loudspeaker that is loud and covers the whole audio band. You can optimize any two of those attributes, but not all three simultaneously.

Re: Will they get smaller? [message #85968 is a reply to message #85733] Sun, 27 August 2017 01:20 Go to previous message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
In other words, are we bound to remain with the large speakers for quite a while? I wish physics would have a solution to this, sooner than later. I think a smaller size comes with portability.
Previous Topic: Jbl 2226h pair for subwoofer
Next Topic: Headphones
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 22 18:20:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout