Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Nickel Wonder Line Stage
Nickel Wonder Line Stage [message #8564] Wed, 17 November 2004 04:49 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here's a cool design that Lee Roitberg of Simplicity Audio brought to the recent Lone Star Bottlehead meeting. My copy is beginning to take shape as parts arrive. Nickel core output transformers - no caps in the signal path! See the link to pictures of Lee's prototype and the schematic in the caption above my picture. You can build this one for a bit over $100 - less if you use inexpensive or reclaimed parts.

Re: Nickel Wonder Line Stage [message #8565 is a reply to message #8564] Wed, 17 November 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Simple and inexpensive. I like that. I can easily be done for under $100. Even if you use the more expensive Hammond power transformer.

Fred, can you give a listening impression. The 124B is rated for only 150Hz to 15KHz, same as Hammond's 125 series SE output trans. However, a lot of people who have used the 125SE's believe it operates very well outside of specs. JE Labs confirmed that it's actually +/- 1dB between 20Hz to 20KHz. Wonder if its the same for the 124 P/P series?

Gar.

Re: Nickel Wonder Line Stage [message #8566 is a reply to message #8564] Wed, 17 November 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Fred,

That's pretty cool! Thanks for mentioning it. I'll have to remember to check it out when I get more time.

I love the looks of that Ella. The photo of it with glowing tubes is cool. The Nixon DAC and the Foreplay look nice too. I like the layout of the modified Foreplay.

Cool stuff!

Wayne

Re: Nickel Wonder Line Stage [message #8567 is a reply to message #8564] Thu, 18 November 2004 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey Fred, can you compare the sound of the KT-88's vs the EL-34's in Ella?

Re: Nickel Wonder Line Stage [message #8591 is a reply to message #8564] Thu, 02 December 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thetubeguy1954 is currently offline  thetubeguy1954
Chancellor
Hi Fred. I read your post, clicked on Nickel Wonder link and looked around. I eventually (after many pages came to the FredArray! \Is it yours? It suuuurrrrreeeee looks nice. Would love to hear an efficient array system with my amp. Unfortunately for me, I just don't have the knack for working with wood. Well I really posted because I wanted to say how nice those speakers looked and congrats is they're yours!

Tom Scata
=====================================================================
Music never makes you sick but, noise always annoys.

Re: Nickel Wonder Line Stage [message #8641 is a reply to message #8565] Wed, 22 December 2004 06:33 Go to previous message
TubeCraft is currently offline  TubeCraft
Baron
Hi y'all, my first post here.

I'm using the 124B (driven parafeed by parallel sections of a 6n1p) as an IT in a single ended 6B4G amp. It sounds great.

Neat trick in the nickel wonder, spinning it around "backwards" like that for a 3:1 step-down...

I think it'd definitely better than specs say in that application because it's rated as a driver xfrmr - at 5 audio watts. Unless you're driving a class B or A2 stage ahead of it, it's not working nearly as hard as that.

TC

Previous Topic: Transformers
Next Topic: re-capping vintage amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 16 03:27:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers