Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Type of paint
Type of paint [message #85213] Wed, 17 May 2017 15:55 Go to next message
chatzy02 is currently offline  chatzy02
Baron
Does the type of paint you use in a particular room affect the room acoustics or is it something that doesn't matter either way?
Re: Type of paint [message #85247 is a reply to message #85213] Thu, 25 May 2017 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I may not be the best person to answer this but as far as I know, the type of paint doesn't affect the acoustics in any way. The only effect would be if the paint changes the proposity (measure of the void/empty spaces) of the material. Proposity on its own has a great effect on sound. For instance, you'll realize that open pore foams are used as absorbers to damp reflections.
Re: Type of paint [message #85445 is a reply to message #85213] Mon, 19 June 2017 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
It's been a long time since I had physics, but no, paint type won't usually have a measurable effect on acoustics. Now, it might change your perception of the acoustics, but it would be purely psychological.
Re: Type of paint [message #86042 is a reply to message #85213] Mon, 04 September 2017 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
Well, I suppose that the type of paint doesn't have an effect on the acoustics. I think that the material used matters because different materials absorb or reflect sound differently.
Re: Type of paint [message #87446 is a reply to message #85213] Tue, 13 March 2018 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Paint will affect the acustics, but not in a noticeable way. You are adding something with physical properties to the room, but those properties are negible in this case.
Re: Type of paint [message #87549 is a reply to message #85213] Sun, 25 March 2018 21:49 Go to previous message
Elerie90 is currently offline  Elerie90
Chancellor
I can't think of a reason why the type of paint you use would affect your acoustics, at least in any kind of way that would be discernable or even measurable. I haven't been able to find any information saying otherwise, but I could be wrong!

Lost The Remote, I never thought about how the paint color could affect your psychological perception of acoustics. I'm going to have to read up on that one.
Previous Topic: What's your first move?
Next Topic: Ceiling in concert hall
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 17:03:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout