Home » Audio » General » Choosing instruments for your kids
Choosing instruments for your kids [message #84048] Thu, 08 December 2016 04:36 Go to next message
Ssal is currently offline  Ssal
Viscount
I have a six year old daughter, and I think it's time she learned to play an instrument.Options that come to mind are: Piano, Guitar, Trumpets, Drums and Bass. What's the best way to decide which one it's going to be?
Re: Choosing instruments for your kids [message #84050 is a reply to message #84048] Thu, 08 December 2016 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
Tuba. Get her a tuba. Laughing

Personally, I would start mine with a keyboard that simulates a piano. That's a good one for a 6 year old to pound on for awhile. If she likes it, upgrade next year. If not, you didn't really lose a lot in exposing her to that option.

It's good that you want to expose her to more music though.......that's a good thing.
Re: Choosing instruments for your kids [message #84055 is a reply to message #84048] Sat, 10 December 2016 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gemmel is currently offline  Gemmel
Baron
Piano sounds like a really great choice. Kids love music, and at that age, it's just a matter of exposing her to different types of instruments and then watching what she gravitates towards more then run with that.
Re: Choosing instruments for your kids [message #84059 is a reply to message #84048] Sun, 11 December 2016 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
Has she shown any interest in a specific type of musical instrument? At that age my daughter wanted to play the guitar so we purchased a cheap $20 acoustic guitar just so she could get a feel for it. Now that she is a little older she loves to play the trombone.
Re: Choosing instruments for your kids [message #84069 is a reply to message #84055] Mon, 12 December 2016 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Gemmel wrote on Sat, 10 December 2016 12:23
Piano sounds like a really great choice. Kids love music, and at that age, it's just a matter of exposing her to different types of instruments and then watching what she gravitates towards more then run with that.

This is such a great idea. I loved music as a kid partly because my father was such a great guitarist. I bought myself a guitar while in high school and I have played it ever since. I tried playing drums but I was such a flop.
Re: Choosing instruments for your kids [message #84181 is a reply to message #84069] Sat, 24 December 2016 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kenzie is currently offline  Kenzie
Chancellor
Please let your child choose! I was made to play the piano and take lessons when I was a child and hated every minute. The only thing it did for me was teach me to read music. Later on I excelled at playing the flute.
Re: Choosing instruments for your kids [message #85308 is a reply to message #84048] Fri, 02 June 2017 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlayerNM is currently offline  PlayerNM
Chancellor
I started out on the piano in elementary. In Jr. High, I entered the band and started playing the clarinet. I relied heavily on my piano education for reading music, intonation and rhythms. I was ahead of most of the kids in that beginning band.
By the time I graduated, I could play almost any instrument. Let the child choose because if you don't, they won't practice.
Re: Choosing instruments for your kids [message #85336 is a reply to message #84181] Sun, 04 June 2017 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PianoGrrl is currently offline  PianoGrrl
Baron
Kenzie wrote on Sat, 24 December 2016 05:59
Please let your child choose! I was made to play the piano and take lessons when I was a child and hated every minute. The only thing it did for me was teach me to read music. Later on I excelled at playing the flute.
I second that completely. If your school has a music program, ask if they can let her try out instruments to find one she is comfortable with, or see if a music shop can do it.

My parents were determined I would learn to play the violin, and I was made to stick with it for years, despite never making grade one and I hated every minute of it. Meanwhile I taught myself piano at a friend's house, which is the only reason I still like music. Her mother was a music teacher and finally had a word with mine.
Re: Choosing instruments for your kids [message #85342 is a reply to message #84048] Sun, 04 June 2017 13:18 Go to previous message
Bert is currently offline  Bert
Baron
I think that you should let her decide. She's six, so she should be capable of choosing if you show her examples of all her choices.
Previous Topic: Protecting headphones from sweat
Next Topic: Best System Brand
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 00:02:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout