Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » ASL Si15-DT
Re: ASL Si15-DT [message #8366 is a reply to message #8346] Thu, 29 July 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hello all,
After reading all the posts here(and the ones Wayne refers to also), it seems to me that the EL34 must work okay in the ASL-Si-15 amp which is setup for KT-88's. Previously this amp was equipped with KT-66's and I think 6550's before that.

I am not sure about the posts concerning swapping EL34's for KT-88's not working well, I have to guess that with the right bias setting(negative voltage on the control grid relates to the amount of current flow through the tube, usually referred to as cathode(or)plate current).

What I have not been able to determine, is the EL34 current for class A operation. The KT-88's operate with 80ma(read as mV across 10 ohm precision resistor from cathode to ground which equates to direct mA reading), I am not sure if 40mA is best setting for EL34's, but as I told Bill, I guess as long as the plates are not "cherry red" and the sound is okay, I think it is fine.

I believe the manufacturer is Divergent Technology out of Canada, but the units are Chinese built. Anyone with these units can derive immediate improvement by getting rid of the Chinese tubes. They do work, but are forward with midrange glare to me.

I will find a link to the amp here soon, I purchased through a AK forum sponser.

Regards, Ron

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Looking to step in
Next Topic: Ultimate single ended Triode amp
Goto Forum: