Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 7PI questions
Re: 7PI questions [message #81145 is a reply to message #81144] Tue, 17 February 2015 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Lagerlover is currently offline  Lagerlover
Esquire
Thanks Wayne.

I had already dug through the FAQs a bit prior to posting and will continue to do so, rather than expecting you to re-address topics already covered elsewhere.

Just so it's clear where I'm coming from, I feel like I should explain myself a bit. I started out on the horn path with a pair of Klipsch Fortes. I liked the efficiency (I enjoy working with tube amps) and felt they did some things very well but ultimately found the nasal, cupped-hands-around-the-mouth qualities too distracting. Rather than writing off horn speakers, I instead came across the constant-directivity waveguide approach that you and Geddes have espoused for years now. It took me eight years, but I finally heard a pair of constant directivity speakers a couple months ago (SEOS-12 Tempests). I was very impressed with their qualities: headphone-like clarity and imaging capabilities with the sense of spaciousness that headphones lack (I assume this is where room reflections are desireable). I was sold.

Not being smart enough to leave well enough alone, I have been looking for designs that maintain directivity all the way down to the modal region. I don't really have a use for home theater designs - I'd much rather dig through musty record bins than watch superhero movies - so a more high fidelity solution is what I am after. Descriptions of the performance of your 7PIs seem to fit the bill.

Despite having already amassed some components, it would seem I am a long ways away from building any enclosures and taking any omnimic measurements. Texts by Toole and Dickason are on the nightstand at the moment and hopefully next time I check in with you, I can be a bit more up to snuff technically. I truly appreciate your time, thank you.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: request crossover + plans four pi 2226
Next Topic: Request for Plans for 4pi Speakers and crossovers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 10:47:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio