Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What to use to power/EQ a 4.2 theater?
Re: What to use to power/EQ a 4.2 theater? [message #80798 is a reply to message #80778] Sat, 08 November 2014 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
j0nnyfive is currently offline  j0nnyfive
Baron
I've been researching a lot here lately, just learning. Here are my current plans so far:

Blu-ray player --> MiniDSP --> (Emotiva XPA 200 --> 4 Pi speakers) and (Behringer ??? --> 3 Pi subs)

This system will be stereo only (for now).

Later (and optional):

1. Buy 2226h to use as sensitivity-matched helper woofers and move the LAB12 subs nearfield for 20-80hz summed coverage.

2. Build a sealed "mega sub" for content below 20hz.

3. Sprinkle in some surround speakers, maybe, once all this Dolby Atmos stuff calms down a little. Smile

I am curious about 2 things right now. First of all, I'm wondering what the subjective difference I will hear by having 2226h as helper woofers versus the LAB12 subs. I'm wanting to have a high-output system for home theater, but the LAB12 subs seem to be smaller than your typical "theater-ish" subs. To get the 2226h to extend a little lower than they do in the 4 Pi, will the enclosures need to be "significantly" larger than either the enclosure of the 3 Pi sub or 4 Pi?

The thing I really like about the 2226h helper woofer idea is the "perfect" match between the helpers and the mains, but I have no real experience with this stuff. Sad

The second thing I'm curious about is how you are achieving the downmixing of 5 channels into 4 channels? (Or are you using a center channel now?) I've looked at a few Oppos and all I could gather was that you could either run 7.1, 5.1, or 2.0.

Have a good weekend, Wayne! And thanks again! All suggestions are welcome! (I need them too, my head is kinda raw from scratching lol)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 6pi plans
Next Topic: Will 7Pi work in my room?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 17:18:25 CDT 2024