Home » Audio » General » Garage/yard sales for used equipment
Garage/yard sales for used equipment [message #80023] Sun, 01 June 2014 06:38 Go to next message
pk20 is currently offline  pk20
Baron
How many of you DIY people visit garage and yard sales for old equipment people are selling? I was at one this week and saw some old speakers and thought if I wanted to create my own equipment, l could get used parts cheap at these type of sales.
Re: Garage/yard sales for used equipment [message #80084 is a reply to message #80023] Fri, 13 June 2014 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Harlow is currently offline  Harlow
Chancellor
I do this frequently! My wife is big into antiques and loves going to yard sales trying to find her next treasure. I went with her one weekend (this was a rather large one more like a flea market) and there was a table JUST for used parts. They had everything from computer parts, to stereo parts and everything in between, and they were CHEAP. I didn't have any projects going on at that point, but I stocked up for the future! Very Happy
Re: Garage/yard sales for used equipment [message #80086 is a reply to message #80084] Fri, 13 June 2014 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Another good source is thrift shops. I have purchased everything from a pair of Altec Lansing "Magnificents" (huge ten cubic foot vintage speakers), a Marantz receiver, two turntables, a Kenwood power amp, stuff by Pioneer, Philips, Klipsch and so on. But then too I have a full electronic work shop and all the test gear that might be needed to bring anything up to spec. Still at the prices you can afford to have a few duds. Most gear only requires cleaning and if mechanical lubrication.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Garage/yard sales for used equipment [message #80151 is a reply to message #80086] Sun, 06 July 2014 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
Thrift shops are great idea, gofar99, I hadn't thought about that. My daughter visits those shops quite often because, as she puts it, vintage clothes are in! Her idea of vintage is 10 years old! I should go with her the next time and see what I can find.
Re: Garage/yard sales for used equipment [message #80154 is a reply to message #80023] Mon, 07 July 2014 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pk20 is currently offline  pk20
Baron
I would never have thought of a thrift shop, thanks for the tip. Do you often find things that you can use at these shops? There is a thrift shop ten minutes away from me and I will go check out what they have.
Re: Garage/yard sales for used equipment [message #80155 is a reply to message #80154] Tue, 08 July 2014 15:48 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I find things from time to time. I have discovered numerous speakers that way....many quite excellent high end ones at fractions of their original cost. LPs, and amps as well. Generally I don't see any turntables or preamps but DVD and VCRs are everywhere. Most stuff works as well.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: How Good is Your Ear
Next Topic: Video camera with good sound
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 19 14:24:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers