Home » Audio » General » Deja Vu all over again
Deja Vu all over again [message #783] Sun, 29 August 2004 07:42 Go to next message
Sue Kraft is currently offline  Sue Kraft
Chancellor
I see my posts were deleted again yesterday. Pretty much the same thing that happened last year when I first tried participating here, along with a few of the guys from the Annex. Part of the explanation from the moderators was that they don't want the Asylum's moderation discussed here on the general board. Then why hasn't the entire thread been removed?

Sue

Hey Sue, [message #784 is a reply to message #783] Sun, 29 August 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
We generally try to allow free expression, but there are a few things that aren't allowed here. Please see the rules page to find out what stays and what goes.

Well, I thought about typing up a meaningful response... [message #785 is a reply to message #784] Sun, 29 August 2004 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sue Kraft is currently offline  Sue Kraft
Chancellor
...but why bother? It would only get deleted anyway. I don't always agree with everything that's posted at the Annex, but you have to give those guys a lot of credit for being one of the few (if not the only) audio forum where you can actually speak your mind.

Re: Well, I thought about typing up a meaningful response... [message #787 is a reply to message #785] Sun, 29 August 2004 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I could use some help designing a power supply....that would be meaningful to me.

Re: Well, I thought about typing up a meaningful response... [message #788 is a reply to message #787] Sun, 29 August 2004 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Whatcha working on John? Or was that a rhetorical statement? Either way, good point.

As I recall, you and Eric were talking about fast recovery diodes and tubes for rectifiers, as opposed to standard 1N400x silicon diodes. The HF switching noise is reduced, but I can't recall which you preferred, HEXFRED's or vacuum tubes. Which do you like best for your power supplies?

Re: Well, I thought about typing up a meaningful response... [message #791 is a reply to message #785] Sun, 29 August 2004 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Please see my reply to you in the Dungeon.

Re: Deja Vu all over again / My being responsible?? [message #792 is a reply to message #783] Mon, 30 August 2004 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
L.Alter is currently offline  L.Alter
Chancellor
Dear Ms. Kraft:

I wrote a rather 'tough' and direct reply to your supposition (negative in nature) about my being aligned with some other poster at another audio site.

Maybe I was *perceived* as not contributing to the nature of this forum OR not being cooperative enough with fellow posters. IF SO--and I'm only supposing--then, I am to blame, here. I was wrong.

Take care. Please contribute in your own way. Cartoons, welcomed! (I'll admit the last was cute and lesson-imparting)

Yours,

Laurence Alter

Re: Deja Vu all over again / My being responsible?? [message #795 is a reply to message #792] Mon, 30 August 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Laurence,

Lets move this over to the Dungeon so it doesn't get deleted again. See my reply to Sue there.

Wayne

Re: Well, I thought about typing up a meaningful response... [message #797 is a reply to message #788] Mon, 30 August 2004 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks for the offer Wayne. The only experience I have with Hexfreds is with my Pre-amp. I replaced the stock diodes with them. They sound a little smoother and they soften up the upper mids somewhat in my system.
The damper diodes Eric turned me on to might make a good compromise but only if they are bridged or so I hear. That leaves Mercury Vapor Rec. tubes but to a novice they seem daunting but they are self regulating and provide plenty of plate voltage. So what do you think?

Re: Well, I thought about typing up a meaningful response... [message #798 is a reply to message #797] Mon, 30 August 2004 08:29 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi John,

I just replied over in the Tubes forum. We must have been typing at the same time.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking I'd go with a simple power supply circuit, bridge rectified if I could use four diodes and if not, go with a pair of diodes instead. I'd probably use an LCL filter on the output so the only the hurdle to overcome is finding caps that have high enough voltage breakdown rating.

One thing I've thought about and that I'd like to investigate is the use of 78xx or 79xx regulators for filament supplies. On one hand, it's nice to remove all semiconductors and be old school. On the other hand, it seems like the regulator might really decrease hum. Just a thought; What do you think?

Wayne

Previous Topic: Re: Lenco Turntable
Next Topic: The Incredible Shrinking _AudioXpress_
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 08 15:43:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers