Home » Audio » Source » DSD (SACD) format pushed to stop piracy...? (Are DSD/SACD formats pushed by the audio industry to stop file sharing?)
DSD (SACD) format pushed to stop piracy...? [message #78613] Wed, 11 December 2013 10:58
Cask05 is currently offline  Cask05
Chancellor
I recently began my first disc library rip to FLAC exercise, and noticed that my SACD (Direct Stream Digital - DSD) files are really locked up on these discs unless I'm willing to pay someone with a very old PS3 with original operating system and hacked applications to rip these files to LPCM.

Alternatively, I could rip from analog outputs, but that option is always available to anyone trying to copy music (albeit at a loss in quality going from digital to analog domains). This brings up a thought that hadn't occurred to me earlier:

Have the record companies deliberately pushed DSD/SACD-only formatted files to slow down or stop piracy? Same idea on vinyl vs. CDs.

Virtually all blind listener tests done to date point to listeners showing a preference for LPCM-encoded (i.e., CD and DVD-A) files over DSD files. I wondered why anyone in the industry pushed DSD/SACDs: the only reason that I could think of was anti-piracy.

Is this your takeaway also?

Chris

Read Message
Previous Topic: Reel to Reel Tape Recorders
Next Topic: Stereo Turntables Making A Comeback
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 29 23:20:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio