Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Helper Woofer Location
Re: Helper Woofer Location [message #77058 is a reply to message #77057] Sat, 22 June 2013 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you can put the speakers in the corners, you really want to run seven π cornerhorns instead. They are designed for corner placement, keeping the sound source acoustically close to the apex of the corner. That removes the need for flanking subs because there is no self-interference from nearest boundary reflections.

There is no way to place a matched-directivity two-way acoustically close to the corner unless it is mounted in a soffit. It's close enough at low frequencies, but by the lower midrange, it becomes acoustically distant, which is what causes the self-interference that flanking subs mitigate.

Soffit mounting always a great way to go, but most people don't have that luxury. So the next best thing is to use flanking subs, which at least smooth the self-interference notch(es) that result from nearest boundaries.

In your case, I think I would probably put the subs outboard, bringing the mains in a couple feet from the side walls. Push them back against the front wall, just close enough to allow the toe-in. Then push the subs back against the front wall and bring them in from the side wall a bit.

Try that and see how it sounds. You can always try the other way too, with mains outboard, but I think it will probably sound better with them inboard. But again, if you can do constant directivity cornerhorns, those are even better still.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message