Home » Audio » General » Cable construction question?
Cable construction question? [message #753] Wed, 18 August 2004 16:52 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm thinking of using an arrangement that will require something like 30 or 40 foot balanced cables.

My issue is that I can't effectively hide these things. Regular black mic cables would just look too bad, even by my ever-tolerant wife's standards.

Small, white cable running along moldings would be OK. My question is would something like telephone cable terminated with XLR connectors be OK?

TIA for any help.

Charlie

Re: Cable construction question? [message #754 is a reply to message #753] Wed, 18 August 2004 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

There is a lot of good that comes in the balanced lines from the black mic cable. Mainly its sheilded and gets less RF and other noise's, particular to long runs. Cant tell you if the twisted pairs in the bell wire are going to be enough. Since you don't need the flexibility or the durablity from the heavy mic cable jacket. You might be able to find a 3 wire calbe with a foil shield that is thin and a color you like. Check out Belden, Canary and Carol web sites if you have time.

Re: Thanks, Bill [message #755 is a reply to message #754] Thu, 19 August 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yup, the absence of shielding was exactly my concern. I hadn't heard of Canary and Carol before - I'll check them out.

Thanks again.

Underfloor? [message #765 is a reply to message #753] Mon, 23 August 2004 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
If you live in your own house, you might consider drilling a hole in the floor and running the cables thru the basement.

I did this. If you pull the wires out, you can't even notice where the hole was, if you have wall to wall carpeting. Of course, if you have hardwood floors you may prefer not to do this.

Re: Underfloor? [message #773 is a reply to message #765] Tue, 24 August 2004 21:54 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks for the suggestion, Dean. I've done that in the past, but this house is slab-on-grade.

They make it fun going the other way too. The ceiling in the room ranges from 9 to 15 feet, and in every wall there is solid 2X4 bridging half way up the partition. In this room the ceiling is the underside of the roof rafters, so there's no getting in the attic space above to drill down through the bridging.

They made it as tough as possible ;>

Previous Topic: Blaupunkt
Next Topic: The last 2 months N-L from Audiophile Club of Athens...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 02:12:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio