Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line?
Re: Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line? [message #75245 is a reply to message #75241] Mon, 14 January 2013 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If I have DI-matched two-way speakers, I always start with flanking subs. I mean, you can run the speakers with no subs at all if you're making an apartment system or something like that, but if we're talking stepping up a notch or two, start with flanking subs first. Don't bother with one sub, start with two and set them up flanking the mains. Then add one or two more distributed subs if you have the budget and the space.

There are two setups that don't require flanking subs. One is constant directivity cornerhorns and the other is soffit mounted speakers. Those eliminate the reflection off the rear wall, so the main problem that is mitigated by flanking subs is removed. If you have constant directivity cornerhorns or soffit mounted mains, then just run three or four distributed multisubs.

Flanking subs go in a fixed place, a couple feet below, beside and behind the mains. But distributed subs are a little more flexible. Basically, you just want to put them "around the room" where they break up the modes most effectively. If you have four subs, it almost doesn't matter where you put them, as long as they aren't clusteted together. But the fewer subs you run, the more important their locations become. You might want to use CARA and/or measurements to help you find the best placements for them.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Old veneer method, new to me...and it worked!
Next Topic: 4Pi and 7Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 08:11:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout