Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line?
Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line? [message #75241] Mon, 14 January 2013 15:44 Go to previous message
j0nnyfive is currently offline  j0nnyfive
Baron
I've been reading about the multiple and flanking sub approaches, and I am curious about where you draw the line in terms of how many subs, the price of those subs, and your own budget. What I mean is, for your average Joe income, where would be the point of diminished returns? Obviously, the fewer subs you use, the more money you can put into any one sub. Let's say I can spend up to about $2500 or so on subwoofers alone. I already have the 4 Pi speakers for my 3 mains (home theater), and I already have surrounds. Okay, I'm wanting to replicate real movie theater impact in my living room, so bass is important. How would you distribute this $2500? Two subs in the flanking positions? One monster 18" 'killer' sub front and center?

And let's say I'm trying to create a system to give me great home theater AND a great music experience (I really consider these 2 the same). It's a general movie/music/game entertainment system for general "everything" purpose in your "everyman" living room. lol

Also, I have a receiver with Audyssey calibration already. I'm worried that if I spread my budget out over 3 or 4 subwoofers, I won't have the impact because those subwoofers won't be large enough or dynamic/powerful enough to do the 4Pis justice in terms of theater.

Can you buy two subwoofers and combine the flanking "80-200hz" idea with the summed "20-80hz" idea? It sounds like you would ideally want 2 smaller subs up front with 2 bigger ones farther away if I'm understanding this correctly. But, could you simply get 2 big subs, flank them, and use them for ALL the bass? I feel like I get the theory part, but I'm wondering about money and practicality.

Set me straight guys!! Razz

Thanks!

p.s. Sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched for it but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Feel free to shoot me a link if this has been done to death! Thanks!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Old veneer method, new to me...and it worked!
Next Topic: 4Pi and 7Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 06:52:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout