Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Looking for some Pi advice for theater ... (4pi vs 7pi)
Re: Looking for some Pi advice for theater ... [message #75236 is a reply to message #75235] Mon, 14 January 2013 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looking at your floor plan, I think constant directivity cornerhorns would work fine. The things you need most are unobstructed wall space from the apex of the corner and distance between corners that allows the axes to cross in front of the listening position. Your room is close to that ideal, with the front seats being just ahead of the crossed-axes and the rear seats being just behind. That's acceptable.

What we don't want are speakers so far apart that the axes cross well behind the listeners. When they're too far apart, you lose stereo imaging and the channels sound disconnected from one another. We also need the wall expansion from the apex of the corner to be unobstructed. By this, I mean we can't have door openings or open windows within the first six feet. You can have features like bookshelves or closed windows, but we can't have openings because that breaks the expansion.

On the other hand, a pair of DI-matched two-way speakers would be fine too. But they would need flanking subs to mitigate anomalies from reflections off the nearest boundaries. You could soffit mount the speakers to prevent the reflection off the wall behind the speakers, which is usually the worst offender. But this would still leave the side walls, and you'll get a notch off them.

So I think your best option is seven π cornerhorns, second best is soffit mounted four π speakers, and next is stand-mounted four π speakers with flanking subs. Frankly, any of those systems will sound great.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Pi 1 plans please
Next Topic: Old veneer method, new to me...and it worked!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 09 00:14:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio