Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » How does one emulate the typical theater sound?
How does one emulate the typical theater sound? [message #73465] Fri, 03 August 2012 03:14 Go to previous message
j0nnyfive is currently offline  j0nnyfive
Baron
Howdy!

I'm trying to emulate my local movie theater in terms of sound quality. I THINK... the big difference between them and me is in the highs. I think my 2 Pi speakers are playing higher frequencies than the theater. Not sure, but that's what it sounds like to me. It could be their EQ, speaker capabilities, or the fact that their screen is in front of their speakers. Or absorptive material in the room maybe. All of the above?

My ear discomfort (tinnitus?) has been helped quite a bit by moving the speaker away from the wall about a foot. Now I can play the speaker at a level where I can comfortably hear the dialogue without too much discomfort later. I really think my small room with nearby walls may be enhancing the high frequencies somehow. Boosting/reflecting them. I'd like to dampen them more to sound more like the local theater.

Wayne, or anybody else with experience, do you have some ideas that might help me out? Also, does Audyssey undo any tweaks I would make? Do you recommend leaving Audyssey off and just playing direct? The tweaks I'm considering now are turning the speakers off axis about 30 degrees or so, and I'm also considering adding more fiberglass to the inside, but that may not do what I think it will.

Sorry for rambling guys. Could ya help a hick out? The theater sound I'm thinking of is one where it SOUNDS loud and powerful, but I don't have tinnitus afterwards. I don't know how they are able to pull this off, but they do somehow. Thanks! Razz

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message