Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 7 Information (Suitability of Cornerhorns)
Re: Pi 7 Information [message #72221 is a reply to message #72216] Wed, 18 April 2012 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've sent plans for the seven π cornerhorn.

Curtains are particularly helpful for constant directivity cornerhorns. They tend to help most at HF, partly because lower frequencies are within 1/4λ of the wall and don't reflect, and partly because at higher frequencies, the angle of incidence from tweeter to wall makes any reflection run nearly parallel to the wall. The grazing angle is very small and any reflected energies will have to pass longwise through a lot of curtain material. So curtains are very effective when placed near constant directivity cornerhorns.

All drivers used in my constant directivity cornerhorns are 8Ω. In fact, the drivers used in all my designs are 8Ω units, with the exception of the tweeter in the one π and two π models, and the subwoofer used in my three π sub and 12π hornsub.

All loudspeakers used indoors will benefit from multisubs. Constant directivity cornerhorns don't need flanking subs, but they can still benefit from multiple subwoofers. They just don't need to be placed in a flanking configuration. I highly recommend multisubs for any home hifi or home theater installation, truly for any sound system run indoors in a room smaller than about 2500 square feet.

Using four subs, you can place them just about anywhere (except grouped together) and expect good results. You might go with a Welti configuration (four corners or four wall midpoints) or go with a Geddes placement (one corner, one midpoint and one random). With four subs or more, it almost doesn't matter where you put them as long as they aren't tightly clustered. Space them apart from one another.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Off-the-shelf 4 Pi Stand
Next Topic: Baffle wall