Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » My Three Pi Speakers Finished
Re: My Three Pi Speakers Finished [message #72136 is a reply to message #72046] Fri, 13 April 2012 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
Thanks to everyone. I think they look great, but I didn't expect that so many other people would. I was going to paint the screw heads flat black, but my wife thought silver was better. Less work for me. So silver they are.

The laminate is expensive. The one 4 x 10 foot sheet would have cost me around $250. And with no experience, I probably would have ruined at least one sheet. So, I let an experienced cabinet shop do the work for $300.

The big thing about laminate is that it is tough. You can treat it pretty rough, and it won't scratch. Most laminate is designed for counter tops, and the ensuing tough treatment. I had to special order the gloss, because most laminate has a textured finish to hide smudges.

I painted the vent hole flat black and let them have it. When I got the cabinets back, the hole was perfectly cut out, and the paint was still there. I'm going to say that must take a great deal of care and skill.

I took a leap of faith with Pi Speaker's unique design where the horn handles the upper midrange and a specifically designed woofer handles the lower midrange and bass. But, it paid off. They sound as good as they look. I and my wife are particularly happy with them. I mention my wife, because she would be the first one to object to any distortion.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Two Pi Plans
Next Topic: Large Rubber "O" Ring with JBL 2226H