Home » Audio » General » Would someone bring me up to speed on 6 channel audio?
icon5.gif  Would someone bring me up to speed on 6 channel audio? [message #71764] Wed, 14 March 2012 13:58 Go to previous message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
Thinking that 6 channel sound selections were so small, I never paid much attention to the formats and players. But, I was watching John Fogerty's band perform The Long Road Home on HDNet and it irritated me realize I could only get that kind of surround from a BR video.

I went to Wikipedia, and it says that there is only 5 channel surround available and that would be on a DVD-A and it is really only stereo with fake surround for the rest.

It further stated that bit rates would be different for the surrounds compared to the front three channels. I looked on Amazon, and they show a DVD-A player for $199 that claims six real channels.

I am probably confused by SACD which is on CD. That format seems to require 6 preamps feeding 6 power amps which is idiotic considering that BR discs can stream all the channels over a single cable to one 6 channel amp. But there are no music only BR discs that I have read about.

You can see my confusion. I'm looking for discrete 6 channel music from either a DVD or BRD that will operate with my BR or DVD player. Are there any such discs (music only vs. video/music)on either DVD or BRD?

As far as I can tell SACD is dead.

I would appreciate a brief walk through. Confused

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein

Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Turtle Beach Headset
Next Topic: Speaker or Headphone For an Unborn Baby
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 18 23:13:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects