Home » Audio » General » What gauge wire? (14 or 16 ?)
Re: What gauge wire? [message #71690 is a reply to message #71689] Tue, 06 March 2012 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
audioaudio90 wrote on Tue, 06 March 2012 16:45
For 35-feet runs, you can certainly use 16 gauge wire and it should sound fine. I would lean towards 14 gauge wire myself, though, even though it's technically not necessary at that distance. Yes, connecting it is a bit harder but I think it's worth it.

Yeah. That's what I decided too. The 14 gauge will come to wall plates. From their a short run of 16 gauge to the receiver (say 3 feet) will make no difference.

I ordered 300 feet of 14 gauge from http://www.monoprice.com. They have great prices on everything electrical. $79 for the 300 feet.

I do have a question about RCA cable vs. speaker wire to subwoofers though. If I follow Wayne Parham's idea of putting two more self powered subs at the back, that would be a lot of shielded cable, and it seems to me a lot greater chance of picking up hum. So, what would I give up if I went to speaker wire connects to the more remote subs?

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Melodyne vs Autotune
Next Topic: Subwoofer Pre-amp out vs. Speaker Line Out and Lighting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 31 15:20:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects