Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 Pi studio in 3 Pi enclosure
2 Pi studio in 3 Pi enclosure [message #71548] Mon, 27 February 2012 09:02 Go to next message
tubemax is currently offline  tubemax
Baron
Hi Wayne,

I wonder if it is possible to use 3 Pi enclosure dimensions but with Alpha 10 + Vifa DX25 tweet and get good results in the bass range ( or at least comparable to tower version ).
Reason is WAF factor - 3 Pi is way lower & can be placed on the floor tilted to listener.
I have already parts for 2 Pi... and 3 Pi is way above my budget...
If it is possible, what port size/length/location is needed in this application?

Best regards,
Max
Re: 2 Pi studio in 3 Pi enclosure [message #71549 is a reply to message #71548] Mon, 27 February 2012 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My standard reply is "I wouldn't do it." The reason is I have spent so much time optimizing and testing the designs. When you modify them, you are throwing away all that R&D time. That is by far the most expensive and important factor, and untested modifications make it moot. When you make mods, you're back to an untested collection of parts in a box.

With that (somewhat strong) disclaimer, I would say that if you put the midwoofer and port in the same position, at least then I would have guarded optimism that the internal standing waves would line up the same way. There is some comfort in that, because I would assume there would be no lower midrange ripple from unwanted standing waves.

But still, I would suggest that you stick with the plans unless you have time and inclination to do acoustic measurements and verify that your mods work well.

Re: 2 Pi studio in 3 Pi enclosure [message #71554 is a reply to message #71549] Mon, 27 February 2012 14:37 Go to previous message
tubemax is currently offline  tubemax
Baron
Hi Wayne,

OK, I'll stick with original design ( 2π studio or 2π tower ), thanks for honest explanation.
One thing is certain > I don't want to start new design without measuring equipment and resources.

Best regards,
Max
Previous Topic: Surround Sound With TV Over Fireplace
Next Topic: Grills for your 4pi? 1pi?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 00:39:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers