Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subwoofer Crossover
Re: Subwoofer Crossover [message #71107 is a reply to message #71105] Thu, 26 January 2012 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

NWCgrad wrote on Wed, 25 January 2012 19:59
I will buy the miniDSP, especially since I can use REW and auto program the device for in room equalization.

I wouldn't set it for auto-equalization unless you connect an array of microphones that sample several points in the room. But you could surely use more than one microphone, and then I think it would work pretty well.

You just don't want it to EQ based on one microphone because it will equalize for that single position, which may be right in a node. It would be terrible for the system to increase output at frequency where room modes sucked out the SPL at the microphone position.

NWCgrad wrote on Wed, 25 January 2012 19:59
I think when I retire from the Navy in 6 yrs and buy a house I will look to get rid of the 4 Pi's and upgrade to the 7 Pi's so I can recycle the JBL and B&C drivers. In the appropriate room, how significant is the difference?

The bass is the same, and the treble is the same. Midrange is where the difference is. A constant directivity cornerhorn projects the sound smoothly through the entire audio band, with the launch point being the apex of the corner. So there is no self-interference from the nearest boundaries. This makes the midrange incredibly smooth and realistic sounding, and it also makes imaging spooky good.

Sometimes you can get a set of traditional mains and flanking subs to sound almost as good. It depends on the room and the speaker setup. But you can never get any other kind of speaker to be better than constant directivity cornerhorns - not direct radiators, not horns, not planers or dipoles. Constant directivity cornerhorns remove the dependency on flanking subs to smooth the lower midrange - The problem of self-interference off the nearest boundaries simply doesn't exist in constant directivity cornerhorns. So it really is the best approach possible, in rooms that have the right corners.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: May I have the enclosure plans for your 4Pi speaker?
Next Topic: Crossover upgrades
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 02:25:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout