Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Ceiling?
Re: Ceiling? [message #70902 is a reply to message #70894] Sat, 07 January 2012 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

audioaudio90 wrote on Sat, 07 January 2012 18:48
I understand what you are saying but I don't notice any issue. I forget what pattern my speakers have; it could be they are directional and that's why it sounds ok.

You're probably used to it. Most of us get used to whatever surroundings we're in very quickly, and that's what sounds natural to us.

I've had some untreated rooms that weren't too bad, and others that were just terrible. In the USA, we have framed drywall construction which absorbs a little bit of energy in the upper bass, so that helps some in the modal region. Carpeting and furniture often helps damp the midrange and treble. So those things help. But none of them does anything to help mitigate ceiling slap.

Clap your hands in the room, one sharp clap. This is a great seat-of-the-pants check. If you just hear yourself with no ringing echo, then you're lucky. Sometimes, this is the case. But often times, you'll hear a ringing sound that is sort of like tinitis. I find it most troublesome in rooms with vaulted ceilings. Rooms with ceilings that are angled slightly but symmetrically tend to focus high frequency reflections down, right at you, almost like a parabolic reflector. That's probably the worst case.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon7.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message