Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » how'd we get here (or where is this)?
Re: how'd we get here (or where is this)? [message #70823 is a reply to message #70698] Thu, 05 January 2012 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
grindstone is currently offline  grindstone
Baron
Hi Wayne, thanks for the great response. Very sweet sorta "I believe..." kind of smack-down post. FWIW, I didn't intentionally attack anything on-purpose but now I see how it could have come-off wrong. My deal was actually the converse; I was really sorta stumped at what seemed straight-forward & I knew that this was one of the _very_few_ places to float such an inquiry and have a chance at (a) tolerance and (b) a rational response. Thank You for taking the time to post and Thank You (and those who make it possible) for this place! Sincerely!

I guess I'm making my way, fumbling along in plain-view, out-loud and w/o tact. As part of my (this weeks?) process, I think I finally "got" the beauty of the 8 pi.

Still learning about and working the problem & I still always struggle with words for a lot of stuff in audio. I don't, for example, have much of any way to say how 10" drivers vs. say 15" drivers, on about any sort of material & crossed however-wise...in whatever kind of cabinet anyone likes, are pretty-much distinguishable from one-another. The words "tone" or "timbral <...this or that>" often come-up, but--I'll be honest--I've got nothing even though the differences have probably been well-established for ages. I just don't know what the words are to be able to talk about that, and yet I bet ya a pop that I can tell a 10 from a 15 (in about any kind of cab ya want) at 5 paces Smile

Sorta gets back to your post about, basically, liking what you hear. You (one would) use a large-format driver for <insert audio-words here> even though it doesn't do bass. In my non-audio lingo, "because pianos sound more right", etc. And hey--I'll personally trade quality of bass for quantity, for sure. Or quality of MR, more-properly, for extension. If I'm tracking, that's another way to say what you said.

Probably none of this was worth a response, but I wanted to say thanks for taking the time and wanted to let you know that the characters didn't go to waste.

I have begun to wonder, for example, why trading filter vs. maybe a backhorn in the same 8 pi box size, though, was the better thing to do...if you have time/inclination. Compound horn, you know, like maybe Tannoy autograph corner unit. If not, thanks BIG anyway! Erm, okay, here's a pic bec "autograph" means a few things:
http://users.on.net/~richard.norrish/Autograph/

So, in this case, you'd basically (?) do what you did except eat less gain in your filter (?) by acoustically pumping the bottom instead of electrically eating mid (and top?)

I can see some tomato/tomahto for mid-wall vs corner loads and not hassling over a couple dB here or there--lotta room for flexibility, actually. I'm just mostly a low-watt-guy, so every 3 dB maybe seems a bigger deal...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 2Pi Off-Axis Response
Next Topic: 4Pi and 1Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 18 00:13:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects