Home » Audio » General » Loud "BANG" From Speakers
Loud "BANG" From Speakers [message #70593] Fri, 23 December 2011 08:24 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
There's a reliability problem with my electricity supplier's system, and about once or twice a week we experience a momentary outage. It lasts less than a second, and I'm sure it's hard on any motorized appliances that are running, especially the refrigerators and the AC units, but it's especially unnerving with the audio system.

I believe the culprit in the system is my Parasound Halo preamplifier. It incorporated a relay-protected, direct-coupled class A circuit. Everything shuts down during the outage and must be restarted, but before that happens there's a very loud "BANG", like a cannon shot from the speakers, scaring me and freaking out the cat.

Does anybody have an opinion whether replacing the Parasound preamp with a capacitor coupled preamp would cure this problem? I'm concerned that this will blow out a tweeter. Or should I just take the cat to the SPCA and learn to live with the big bang?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Christmas Music for Ya'll
Next Topic: Gasket Material Recommended by Wayne P.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 06 17:03:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio