Home » xyzzy » Tower » Kindle fire?
Re: Kindle fire? [message #69948 is a reply to message #69946] Tue, 01 November 2011 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You might be right. Would certainly be a welcome addition.

I just checked the Amazon support forum and read that the cloud is free for Amazon-purchased content, but not sure about uploaded content. I see some mentions that it's free up to 5Gb, or you can upgrade to larger storage for a fee. Not sure if that's attractive to you or not, but it is one way to use the content you already own.
As an aside, personally, I don't like cloud storage. But that's mostly because I'm kinda private (paranoid?) and don't like putting documents or anything even moderately private or sensitive on a public system, even with encryption. Then again, I have a lot of published content on various websites, and I find that useful. Lots of audio related PDF files are here on this site, for example. So I'm not opposed to cloud storage for some kinds of content.

I think for most people, cloud storage is convenient, even attractive. I was surprised, for example, when I saw Melissa prefer a cloud-based image-processor to more traditional "paint programs". To me, it made no sense to use server applications and cloud store for image processing. If nothing else, it's slower. But it did make some of what she did easier, and the user interface was intuitive and simple. Her pictures were available anywhere, and could be viewed or even edited on any web-connected device. So I think most people don't even really realize when their content bridges the gap from local to cloud. The majority of people probably don't know how the underlying mechanisms work, or where content is stored, and could really care less.

So all that to say I'm totally with you on the local storage option. I'd prefer to have the flash memory in the device. I don't think it will bother everyone, but as for me, I like having maintaining local copies of stuff and downloading it directly to the device.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message