Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Thoughts on Digital Pianos
Re: Thoughts on Digital Pianos [message #69346 is a reply to message #69246] Mon, 05 September 2011 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
In my experience, an acoustic piano recording can sound knockout IF you have the right mics and (especially) the right room acoustics. Of course, I do tend to compare piano recordings to the stuff I've heard come out of a friend's studio. He has a Yamaha grand that sounds absolutely stunning, and the right acoustics to record it. It's downright magical.

But, I personally almost never have access to such ideal conditions, so I generally MUCH prefer digital pianos. No mic placement or acoustics problems, no tuning, no maintenance, no worrying about humidity and temperature, or any of the stuff that comes with an acoustic piano. You just plug it in, choose your preset, set the levels, and let 'er rip.

And, however good an acoustic piano may sound, it's still a one-trick pony. You just can't beat the plethora of tones available from a digital piano, that will cover any song or musical style imaginable. It also requires very little EQ'ing. You just add some appropriate compression and reverb.

Roland and Kurzweil are IMO the best. However, there's a great disparity in tone between the different Roland models. Play several, and find the one you like.

Just my 2 cents.

Thermionic

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Zildjian Cymbals
Next Topic: Crazy Panning
Goto Forum: